Compare prices from the names you trust.
Alberta drivers can find a better car insurance rate in minutes
We find lots of rates
We show you the best quotes from Alberta's leading insurance providers.
See a preferred rate?
Go ahead and pick a rate you love. We want you to.
Lock it in!
Give us a call and we'll connect you to the insurance company you want to do bussiness with.
How can I get the cheapest car insurance quote in Alberta?
Saving on insurance premiums is something every driver can get behind. Finding the best deal on auto insurance in Alberta can be quick and easy. In fact, Albertan’s can save on their car insurance premiums by using an insurance comparison web site such as Kanetix.ca.
Instead of calling every auto insurance company directly, you can complete an online form on Kanetix.ca and access rates from the leading insurance providers at once. How does this work? It’s pretty simple. Kanetix.ca uses the driving information that you enter into the quote form to generate and rank the rates available from over 50 auto insurance companies in Alberta. You select the quote you want and we’ll connect you directly with that company to lock in that rate for you. The entire process takes only a few minutes and it’s absolutely free to use – saving you both time and money. Canadians have been saving money by comparing auto insurance rates with us since 1999.
There are other ways you could save on your car insurance. Tactics like reviewing your policy deductibles and coverage amounts is also a good way to trim costs. Here are some tips you can consider. It’s best practice to check quotes every year because car insurance rates in Alberta change all the time. The rate you pay today won’t necessary be the rate you could be paying the following year.
First introduced in 2004, the Auto Insurance Grid rating program sets the maximum premium that an insurer can charge for basic coverage (third party liability and accident benefits). According to the AIRB, about 94.5 per cent of Alberta drivers pay less than the maximum set out by the Grid program.
Where an Alberta driver lands on the grid is determined by several factors including:
- Years licensed
- Number of at-fault claims
- Number of tickets
- Years since your last at-fault collision or ticket
- Driver training, if you are a new driver.
Other determining factors to your car insurance rate are where you live and your commute distance, plus the type of vehicle you drive.
Alberta drivers pay an average of $1,179 for their auto insurance coverage, according to a report by Ontario’s Ministry of Finance in April 2017. This is less than what their neighbours in British Columbia pay ($1,316), but more than what drivers in Saskatchewan pay ($775).
The average provincial car insurance rates from highest to lowest are:• Ontario - $1,458
• British Columbia - $1,316
• Alberta - $1,179
• Newfoundland and Labrador - $1,090
• Manitoba - $1,001
• Northwest Territories - $974
• Nunavut - $968
• Yukon - $806
• Nova Scotia - $783
• Saskatchewan - $775
• New Brunswick - $763
• Prince Edward Island - $755
• Quebec - $724
Driving distance and location matter. The average daily commute for Alberta drivers is 9.4 km based on quotes completed via Kanetix.ca.
Age and experience matters. New drivers with driving training often qualify for discounts on car insurance. Retiree discounts are also available. Make sure you ask your insurance provider if you qualify for these savings. The average age of drivers completing quotes on Kanetix.ca in Alberta is 39 years old.
Only 37 per cent of Albertans received a multi-line discount. Based on auto rates compared on Kanetix.ca there is an opportunity for Alberta drivers to save more by combining their car and home insurance policies.
Winter tires are needed. As a prairie province with warm summer months but cold, snowy and icy roads in winter months, installing winter tires is not only a must for safety but can save you money on your car insurance, too. With only 85 per cent of Alberta drivers investing in winter tires, according to quotes conducted on Kanetix.ca in the last year, there is opportunity for further savings to be gained.
If you want to drive that classic or vintage or special car on the road, a classic car insurance policy is a legal requirement. Since antique car owners may only drive their car occasionally as a hobby, you probably want to ensure that you get the right price for your policy. Kanetix.ca has the most comprehensive coverage of companies that offer classic car insurance, so it makes sense to search online to find the best rate.
Typically, recreational vehicle (RV) insurance is more expensive than car insurance, however, you can still save by comparing quotes online. Kanetix.ca compares the most companies for RV and trailer insurance so you can bet we will find you the lowest rate.
See the latest rates Alberta customers pay
10 ways to lower your Alberta auto insurance premiums
There’s a lot you can do to ensure you’re not overpaying for your car insurance. Here are 10 ways you can easily save money:
1. Shop around - Rate changes are released every 3 months by the Alberta Automobile Insurance Rate Board. Many insurance companies take this opportunity to change their rates within those 3 months. Check if your insurer has changed their rates every time; sometimes it may be lower, but other times it may be higher, too.
2. Increase your deductibles - You can instantly save five to 10 per cent just by increasing your deductibles to $1,000 if it’s currently set at $500. Tip: be sure you’re comfortable with the higher amount in the event you are in a collision or your vehicle needs to be repaired.
3. Pay your premiums in one lump sum - If you pay your premiums annually, you can avoid the administrative fees that are sometimes charged by insurers for the convenience of monthly payments.
4. Bundle your policies - You can save five to 15 per cent when you buy your home insurance from the same company that covers your car.
5. Get coverage for all vehicles in your household on the same policy - If you have more than one car, you can save up to 10 to 20 per cent by insuring them on the same policy.
6. Review your policy annually - Review your optional coverages every year. If they are no longer needed, this is a good way to shave off some costs.
7. Ask about discounts - There are many discounts available to Alberta drivers. These could include good student discounts, low mileage discounts, and retiree discounts. Ask your provider about the ones they can offer you.
8. Install winter tires - Let your insurer know if you have winter tires, as some will give you a winter tire discount.
9. Take a driver training course - Encourage young drivers in your family to take driver training. The insurance savings you could receive could offset the cost of the course, with the benefit of ensuring your young driver can handle themselves properly on the road.
10. Moving? Getting married? Buying a new car? Compare quotes – Major life events are great times to check in on your insurance rates to make sure your current provider is still quoting you the best rate. Life events like getting married, moving, adding new drivers, changing jobs or retiring can impact the amount you pay for your car insurance policy.
Ontario Car Insurance Rates Are Increasing
Jul 16, 2018
According to the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, car insurance rates for many Ontario drivers will be going up at renewal. See how much your rates could be going up the next time you get your renewal documents.
Tips on Buying a Fuel-Efficient Vehicle
Jul 11, 2018
Have you had it with the mostly ups, and the occasional downs of gas prices? Is a fuel-efficient car in your future? If so, this handy guide on how to choose a fuel-efficient vehicle will aid you in buying a car that will help you save at the pump.
Best-Selling Minivans in Canada
Jul 10, 2018
Minivans have a funny status among Canadians; you either love 'em or you hate 'em. But no matter what you think of the minivan, they've proven to not be a flash in the pan. After more than 30 years of family-friendly style, the minivan continues to be the vehicle of choice for many with kids.