Car Insurance in Calgary
Compare prices from the names you trust.
Saving money on car insurance has never been this easy.
We search for your lowest rates from over 50 insurers.
You select your best quote from the options available to you.
We secure your rate
We connect you to the company to secure your selected rate.
Car insurance in Calgary
From car payments, to gas and maintenance, driving can get very expensive once you start adding up the costs. You can choose cheaper gas and opt to do some maintenance yourself, but those aren't the only places you can save. Your insurance premium is something you can save on as well. Many drivers renew their policy without comparing rates with other insurers, and that's costing them hundreds of dollars. Kanetix.ca makes it easy to compare rates with other insurers and we help you secure your lowest rate as well!
Real rates for real customers.
The basics of your car insurance policy
In Alberta, there are a mix of mandatory and optional coverages available to drivers. The following are the mandatory coverages needed to be on the road in Calgary:
- Accident benefits: Accident Benefits covers the people in a vehicle in the event of injury. Coverage can include medical and rehabilitation costs, funeral expenses, death benefits, as well as income replacement.
- Third party liability: Third Party Liability coverage pays for a legal claim against the policyholder in the event that they are responsible (whether wholly or partially) for a collision that causes injury or damage to a third party. The minimum limit requirement is $200,000 although most drivers go with at least $1 million.
To ensure that you're protected in the way you expect to be covered, optional coverages can be added to your Calgary car insurance policy. The two most common optional coverages are:
- Collision coverage: This covers damage to your vehicle as a result of an impact or collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage: This insures your car against damage caused by events like theft and vandalism.
Both of these optional coverages usually have a deductible, which is the portion of an insurance claim you agree to pay. Depending on what you select as your deductible, it will be factored into how your auto insurance premium is calculated. By going with a higher deductible, your rates lower.
Depending on your needs, you may also add on these popular coverages to your Calgary car insurance policy:
- Loss of use This coverage pays for a rental car or alternate transportation while your automobile is being repaired if damaged in a collision.
- Legal liability for damage to non-owned automobiles: This extends your physical damage coverage and deductible on your personal vehicle to a rental vehicle so that you don't have to take the coverage offered by a rental company.
- Limited waiver of depreciation: This ensures you will receive the full value of what you paid for your car if totaled in a collision.
What goes into your Calgary car insurance rate?
The average age of drivers shopping for car insurance from Calgary on Kanetix.ca are 37, and male drivers overwhelmingly (70%) outnumber female (30%) drivers. These drivers know that there are many things considered that factor in to the cost of their premiums, such as:
- Where you live: With massive construction and specialized cameras to enforce speed at many intersections, driving in Alberta's largest city can be demanding. There are certain areas that have more traffic than others or have a history of more accidents and collisions. Insurance agents and brokers use the available residential data and information to help determine the rates customers should pay. It is often the case that those residing in the suburbs get a break on the cost of insurance compared to downtown dwellers.
- Your commute: Reports show that the average one-way commute in Calgary is about 27 minutes. Many residents are comfortable using public transportation to get to work, and for those that do, they fare better in terms of insurance rates than those who drive in each day. Similarly, those working closer to home are more likely to get a cost break on insurance costs.
- The car you drive: Car insurance companies use vehicle model and year as a basic component in determining car insurance rates. It's easy to understand why; some cars have higher theft rates than others, some models cost more to repair and some are safer to drive. Expect insurance companies to examine automobile model statistics and rankings carefully when compiling premiums.
- Your driving history: It's a fact of life we must deal with. We will be judged on past behaviour because others feel it is a predictor of future behavior. Insurance companies see the wisdom in this also; therefore, expect them to pay attention to tickets and traffic charges on your driving record. However, they are also fair and good driving behaviour will often result in a reduction in your overall insurance cost.
More than fifty per cent of all drivers in Calgary have had at least one car accident, as reported while getting their auto insurance quotes. More precisely, 59 per cent have reported at least one incident. Substantially less drivers (48%), report that they have received at least one ticket. When you look at gender differences, 51% of males and 42% of females report having one ticket, as gleaned from quote information obtained on Kanetix.ca.
Other ways you can save on auto insurance
With a reported annual snowfall of 128.8 cm (50.7 inches), it makes sense that the vast majority of Calgary (83%) drivers install winter tires. It is also interesting to note that 32 per cent of motorists there use some form of roadside assistance. Some insurance companies do offer a slight discount for such programs and Calgary drivers should consult their providers to see if they qualify.
While looking into those savings, Calgary drivers should also ask about other discounts. For example, don't forget to mention to your provider that you have completed a driving course (if you have!). If you have added security features to your car or have an alarm installed in your garage, there are additional discounts available.
When it's time to renew, make sure you're not overpaying for your coverage by comparing auto insurance rates on a regular basis. When your lifestyle changes, or you get married, move, or buy a new car, these are also good times to save and get a lower auto insurance rate.
Kanetix.ca has proudly served Canadians with over 7,000,000 competitive insurance quotes over the past 17 years.
Not ready to shop for insurance today?Set a renewal reminder and we'll let you know when it's time to save.
Amped up for Battery Electric Vehicles: 10 Cars That Will Spark Your Interest
Jul 24, 2017
Battery electric vehicles (BEVs), especially the Tesla Model S, are sparking the interest of Canadian drivers. More than one in three drivers (36 per cent) who requested auto insurance quotes at Kanetix.ca for a BEV got quotes for the Tesla Model S, followed by the Nissan Leaf (17 per cent). See how the rest ranked.
Breaking: Ontario Car Insurance Rates Have Increased
Jul 18, 2017
Breaking News: Ontario car insurance rates have increased. According to the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, car insurance rates for many Ontario drivers will be going up at renewal, instead of down. See how much your rates could be going up the next time you get your renewal documents.
Canada Is a Nation of Honda Drivers
Jul 17, 2017
When you take to the road, is your vehicle of choice a Honda or a Toyota? Chances are it is, as these two car brands consistently come out on top of the 10 most popular car manufacturers quoted for auto insurance online in Canada through Kanetix.ca.