You can compare prices from 50+ providers to find your lowest car insurance rates
How to get your car insurance quotes on Kanetix.ca:
1. You search
You can find and compare rates from over 50 top insurance providers.
2. You choose
Select the best auto insurance quote from the rates available to you.
3. Secure your rate
Connect to the provider and secure your rate!
Car insurance in Calgary
From car payments, to gas and maintenance, driving can get very expensive once you start adding up the costs. You can choose cheaper gas and opt to do some maintenance yourself, but those aren't the only places you can save. Your insurance premium is something you can save on as well. Many drivers renew their policy without comparing rates with other insurers, and that's costing them hundreds of dollars. Kanetix.ca makes it easy to compare rates with other insurers and we help you secure your lowest rate as well!
The basics of your car insurance policy
In Alberta, there are a mix of mandatory and optional coverages available to drivers. The following are the mandatory coverages needed to be on the road in Calgary:
- Accident benefits: Accident Benefits covers the people in a vehicle in the event of injury. Coverage can include medical and rehabilitation costs, funeral expenses, death benefits, as well as income replacement.
- Third party liability: Third Party Liability coverage pays for a legal claim against the policyholder in the event that they are responsible (whether wholly or partially) for a collision that causes injury or damage to a third party. The minimum limit requirement is $200,000 although most drivers go with at least $1 million.
To ensure that you're protected in the way you expect to be covered, optional coverages can be added to your Calgary car insurance policy. The two most common optional coverages are:
- Collision coverage: This covers damage to your vehicle as a result of an impact or collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage: This insures your car against damage caused by events like theft and vandalism.
Both of these optional coverages usually have a deductible, which is the portion of an insurance claim you agree to pay. Depending on what you select as your deductible, it will be factored into how your auto insurance premium is calculated. By going with a higher deductible, your rates lower.
Depending on your needs, you may also add on these popular coverages to your Calgary car insurance policy:
- Loss of use This coverage pays for a rental car or alternate transportation while your automobile is being repaired if damaged in a collision.
- Legal liability for damage to non-owned automobiles: This extends your physical damage coverage and deductible on your personal vehicle to a rental vehicle so that you don't have to take the coverage offered by a rental company.
- Limited waiver of depreciation: This ensures you will receive the full value of what you paid for your car if totaled in a collision.
What goes into your Calgary car insurance rate?
The average age of drivers shopping for car insurance from Calgary on Kanetix.ca are 37, and male drivers overwhelmingly (70%) outnumber female (30%) drivers. These drivers know that there are many things considered that factor in to the cost of their premiums, such as:
- Where you live: With massive construction and specialized cameras to enforce speed at many intersections, driving in Alberta's largest city can be demanding. There are certain areas that have more traffic than others or have a history of more accidents and collisions. Insurance agents and brokers use the available residential data and information to help determine the rates customers should pay. It is often the case that those residing in the suburbs get a break on the cost of insurance compared to downtown dwellers.
- Your commute: Reports show that the average one-way commute in Calgary is about 27 minutes. Many residents are comfortable using public transportation to get to work, and for those that do, they fare better in terms of insurance rates than those who drive in each day. Similarly, those working closer to home are more likely to get a cost break on insurance costs.
- The car you drive: Car insurance companies use vehicle model and year as a basic component in determining car insurance rates. It's easy to understand why; some cars have higher theft rates than others, some models cost more to repair and some are safer to drive. Expect insurance companies to examine automobile model statistics and rankings carefully when compiling premiums.
- Your driving history: It's a fact of life we must deal with. We will be judged on past behaviour because others feel it is a predictor of future behavior. Insurance providers see the wisdom in this also; therefore, expect them to pay attention to tickets and traffic charges on your driving record. However, they are also fair and good driving behaviour will often result in a reduction in your overall insurance cost.
More than fifty per cent of all drivers in Calgary have had at least one car accident, as reported while getting their auto insurance quotes. More precisely, 59 per cent have reported at least one incident. Substantially less drivers (48%), report that they have received at least one ticket. When you look at gender differences, 51% of males and 42% of females report having one ticket, as gleaned from quote information obtained on Kanetix.ca.
Other ways you can save on auto insurance
With a reported annual snowfall of 128.8 cm (50.7 inches), it makes sense that the vast majority of Calgary (83%) drivers install winter tires. It is also interesting to note that 32 per cent of motorists there use some form of roadside assistance. Some insurance providers do offer a slight discount for such programs and Calgary drivers should consult their providers to see if they qualify.
Insurance shoppers are always on the lookout for lower prices. One of the best methods is to take advantage of multi-line discounts. Basically, it is combining other policies, such as home insurance with one provider. Clearly the tactic is of benefit, as almost 54 percent of Calgary insurance customers indicate they will apply for multi-line discounts from their providers.
While looking into those savings, Calgary drivers should also ask about other discounts. For example, don't forget to mention to your provider that you have completed a driving course (if you have!). If you have added security features to your car or have an alarm installed in your garage, there are additional discounts available.
When it's time to renew, make sure you're not overpaying for your coverage by comparing auto insurance rates on a regular basis. When your lifestyle changes, or you get married, move, or buy a new car, these are also good times to save and get a lower auto insurance rate.
Not ready to shop for insurance today?Set a renewal reminder and we'll let you know when it's time to save.
Eight Factors that Shape Your Alberta Car Insurance Premium
Apr 7, 2020
Now, more than ever, Alberta drivers are looking to find ways to save money on their auto insurance. It’s a good time to see if you can trim down what you pay. The first step in doing this, however, is…
Desjardins Offers Auto Insurance Refund to Drivers in Wake of COVID-19
Apr 7, 2020
Desjardins General Insurance is offering its auto insurance customers a refund on their premiums. As a result of the nationwide COVID-19 lockdown to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus infection, Desjardins says the refund is designed to support Canadians…
How A Missed Car or Home Insurance Payment May Affect You
Apr 3, 2020
Many Canadian consumers may find themselves in a cash crunch because of the coronavirus pandemic and our country’s lockdown to contain the virus. As the economy sinks and the unemployment rate rises, many face the unenviable task of choosing which…
*59.2% of Kanetix customers in Alberta who participated in the survey said Kanetix helped them identify an average savings amount of $754.89 (May 1, 2015 - July 31, 2015) on their car insurance. The cited amount represents the average difference between the best quote obtained at www.kanetix.ca and the current premium amount of participants in the survey. The savings amount varies by individual and does not constitute a guarantee; in each individual case, the difference may be smaller or greater than the savings amount cited.