If you're thinking of travelling or have something already booked, it's important you remember to travel cyber safe. It's commonplace nowadays to bring a laptop, tablet or cellphone (or all three) with you on vacation. However, you need to make sure your devices and your information are protected. It's not as hard as you may think for strangers to gain access to your devices and compromise your personal information.
- Related Read: Going On Vacation? 10 Ways To Protect Your Home
Kanetix.ca wants to help you prevent this from happening, let's take a look at some ways to remain cyber safe while travelling.
Before You Leave On Vacation
- Back up your files so that you have a copy in case your device is stolen or infected with a virus.
- Update your devices with the latest security software.
- Use strong passcodes. A strong password should be at least eight characters long, include a combination of upper and lower case letters and at least one number, and include at least one character that is not a number or letter.
Protect Yourself While Travelling
- Wi-Fi hotspots sure are convenient but they are also often unsecure networks and available to anyone. Don't shop or bank online using a Wi-Fi hotspot, and be very careful about what you send and receive.
- Don't leave devices unsecured in your hotel room. If there's a hotel room safe, use it.
- Avoid charging your phone at public charging kiosks or using USB ports on devices you don't own. These are untrusted devices and could leave you open to malicious software.
- If flying to your destination, do not pack your devices into luggage you're going to check; instead put it in your carry-on luggage.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Always assume others can view your screen or keyboard in public areas; shield passwords when entering and log out of any account.
If you travel with these tips in mind, your devices and information are at a decreased risk of being compromised or stolen. You can never be too cautious when it comes to your personal information, especially when travelling. Your vacation will be a lot more enjoyable knowing your devices and personal information are safe and protected.
Protect Your Devices And Yourself
In addition to protecting your devices, you have to protect yourself. While travelling it's important to travel protected; buy travel insurance before you go. Travellers should at least have supplementary emergency travel insurance when leaving the country.