Compare prices from the names you trust.
Saving money on car insurance has never been this easy.
We search for your lowest rates from over 50 insurers.
You select your best quote from the options available to you.
We secure your rate
We connect you to the company to secure your selected rate.
Car Insurance in Edmonton
In Alberta, there are a mix of mandatory and optional coverages available to drivers. The following are the mandatory coverages needed to be on the road in Edmonton:
- Accident benefits: Accident benefits covers the people in a vehicle in the event of injury. Coverage can include medical and rehabilitation costs, funeral expenses, death benefits, as well as income replacement.
- Third party liability: Third party liability coverage pays for a legal claim against the policyholder in the event that they are responsible (whether wholly or partially) for a collision that causes injury or damage to a third party. The minimum limit requirement is $200,000 although most drivers go with at least $1 million.
To ensure that you're protected in the way you expect to be covered, optional coverages can be added to your Calgary car insurance policy. The two most common optional coverages are:
- Collision coverage: This covers damage to your vehicle as a result of an impact or collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage: : This insures your car against damage caused by events like theft and vandalism.
Both of these optional coverages usually have a deductible, which is the portion of an insurance claim you agree to pay. Depending on what you select as your deductible, it will be factored into how your auto insurance premium is calculated. By going with a higher deductible, the lower your rates.
Depending on your needs, you may also add on these popular coverages to your Calgary car insurance policy:
- Loss of Use This coverage pays for a rental car or alternate transportation while your automobile is being repaired if damaged in a collision.
- Legal Liability for Damage to Non-Owned Automobiles: This extends your physical damage coverage and deductible on your personal vehicle to a rental vehicle so that you don't have to take the coverage offered by a rental company.
- Limited Waiver of Depreciation: This ensures you will receive the full value of what you paid for your car if totaled in a collision.
Real rates for real customers.
What goes into your Edmonton car insurance rate?The average age of drivers from Edmonton shopping for car insurance at Kanetix.ca is 36. Male drivers (69%) outnumber their female counterparts (31%) quite significantly. Insurance costs are determined by multiple factors such as:
- Where you live: Motorists that reside in Edmonton face challenging driving conditions and experience all the frustrations that major cities present each day. The possibilities of car theft and getting into accidents or collisions are risks that insurance agents and brokers examine carefully before generating the cost to insure a vehicle.
- Your commute: As you know, insurance providers usually assign lower rates to drivers who work closer to home or use public transit to get to their place of employment. A typical one way commute in Edmonton is approximately 26 minutes. Those with shorter commutes are often eligible for lower rates than those who spend more time on the roads and highways each day.
- The car you drive: While researching insurance costs, many drivers choose specific vehicle model and years to help lower their overall cost. Car insurance companies have a vast amount of vehicle data to compare safety ratings, repair costs and even the likelihood of theft among the thousands of car models driven today.
- Your driving history: As most drivers know, driving history is another important source of information used when determining auto insurance rates. Past driving behaviour, including accidents, infractions, tickets or charges can count against you when the insurance rate is being composed. Those with clean driving records should end up saving on insurance costs.
About 63 per cent of Edmonton drivers report having at least one car accident, as indicated while obtaining their auto insurance quotes. Significantly less (47%), have reported getting at least one ticket. Male drivers (50%) outnumber female drivers (43%) in terms of obtaining at least one ticket.
Other ways to help you save
83 percent of Edmonton drivers reported they use snow tires for safer driving in winter months. With an annual snowfall average of 123.5 cm (48.6 inches), Edmonton drivers are showing good judgment.
Many insurance companies are willing to provide a slight discount to drivers that are enrolled in some type of roadside assistance program. In Edmonton, 32 per cent of car insurance shoppers mention that they use roadside assistance programs and qualify for a discount.
When choosing your car insurance company, it is always beneficial to discuss any possible discount before making your final decision. For example, further savings may be applied if you have taken and passed a driver training course. Also, installing additional safety and security features on your vehicle, belonging to certain organizations and even being retired are established means to lower insurance costs.
Comparing Edmonton auto insurance rates on a regular basis will ensure you're not overpaying for your coverage when it's time to renew. When your lifestyle changes, or you get married, move, or buy a new car, these are also good times to save and get a lower auto insurance rate.
Kanetix.ca has proudly served Canadians with over 7,000,000 competitive insurance quotes over the past 17 years.
Not ready to shop for insurance today?Set a renewal reminder and we'll let you know when it's time to save.
You Got a Traffic Ticket for What?
Apr 21, 2017
Everyone knows all the main traffic violations that could affect your auto insurance premiums, like failing to signal, running a stop sign, speeding, or making an improper turn. But, there are plenty of lesser-known instances where a driver may not realize that what they are doing may run afoul of the rules of the road.
New at Kanetix.ca: Aviva Canada's Maple Leafs and Raptors Auto Insurance
Apr 20, 2017
You watch the games at home and you listen to them in the car, and now you can team up with the Maple Leafs or Raptors to score home and auto insurance, provided by Aviva.
Breaking: Ontario Car Insurance Rates Have Increased
Apr 19, 2017
Ontario car insurance rates have increased. See how much car insurance premiums could be going up next time you get your renewal.