Compare prices from the names you trust.
Saving money on car insurance has never been this easy.
We search for your lowest rates from over 50 insurers.
You select your best quote from the options available to you.
We secure your rate
We connect you to the company to secure your selected rate.
Car insurance in Halifax
Car insurance is a necessity, but luckily you can control how much you spend on it by shopping around and comparing quotes. At Kanetix.ca, we find the lowest auto insurance rates in Halifax without any compromise to your coverage. Compare auto insurance quotes today and choose the best coverage for the lowest price. It's quick, convenient and absolutely free.
Real rates for real customers.
The basics of your car insurance policy
Your car insurance policy is made up of some mandatory coverages. Mandatory coverages include:
- Third party liability: Third-party liability insurance covers you if you injure someone, or damage their car or property in a collision. You must have at least $500,000 of liability coverage, but most Nova Scotians carry at least $1,000,000.
- Accident benefits: Accident benefits include medical and rehabilitation expense benefits, funeral expense benefits, and loss of income benefits for yourself and other passengers in the event of an accident.
- Uninsured and unidentified insurance: This section of your policy covers you if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured vehicle or a hit-and-run.
There are also optional coverages that can be added to your car insurance policy. The two most common optional coverages are:
- Collision or upset coverage: This covers damage to your vehicle as a result of an impact or collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive insurance: This insures your car against damage caused by non-collision scenarios like theft and vandalism.
What goes into your Halifax auto insurance rate?
Halifax is the capital of Nova Scotia and the largest city east of Québec City in Canada. As the population rises, more drivers are fighting for their space on the road, leading to higher insurance premiums than cities with smaller populations.
And it doesn't stop there. The weather in Halifax is largely influenced by the ocean and drivers in Halifax must contend with fog 100+ days each of the year on average, especially in the spring and early summer. These conditions increase the likelihood of an accident, along with insurance rates in the area.
Other factors considered when calculating insurance rates in Halifax include:
- Your commute: The longer your commute to work, the higher your premium. Those driving in rush hour traffic or busy streets to get to work each day should expect to face slightly higher insurance charges than those who use public transportation.
- The car you drive: Your vehicle model and year is directly tied to the cost of your insurance. Insurance providers refer to data that analyzes safety ratings, repair costs and even the likelihood of theft among thousands of vehicles before determining rates. There are many drivers who actually select specific cars knowing that insurance premiums are reliant on this information too.
- Your driving history: Accidents, infractions, tickets or charges on your driving record will all count against you when your insurance rate is being calculated. Those with clean driving records, as you might expect, will end up saving the most on insurance costs.
How else can I lower my insurance rate in Halifax?
Compare rates annually from different car insurance companies to ensure you're getting the best price for your coverage. It's also a good idea to shop around when your situation changes, like when you get married (or divorced), move, buy a new car, add drivers to your policy (like your teen), get a ticket, get in a collision, change jobs or retire. You could be surprised to find that another company is offering you a cheaper price than the company you're currently with.
Customers should be aware of all discounts available from their insurance provider and they should not hesitate to get further information. For example, hefty loyalty discounts are usually provided to those who use the same company for car and home insurance policies.
You can also save money if you are retired, getting good grades in school, or completed a driver training course.
The 21st century has blessed us with a multitude of technological advancements, and the automobile is no exception. Driving cars with advanced driver assistance systems can simultaneously decrease the chance of a collision, and increase savings on car insurance. Installing winter tires and anti-theft systems are also ways to receive discounts.
Kanetix.ca has proudly served Canadians with over 7,000,000 competitive insurance quotes over the past 17 years.
Not ready to shop for insurance today?Set a renewal reminder and we'll let you know when it's time to save.
You Got a Traffic Ticket for What?
Apr 21, 2017
Everyone knows all the main traffic violations that could affect your auto insurance premiums, like failing to signal, running a stop sign, speeding, or making an improper turn. But, there are plenty of lesser-known instances where a driver may not realize that what they are doing may run afoul of the rules of the road.
New at Kanetix.ca: Aviva Canada's Maple Leafs and Raptors Auto Insurance
Apr 20, 2017
You watch the games at home and you listen to them in the car, and now you can team up with the Maple Leafs or Raptors to score home and auto insurance, provided by Aviva.
Breaking: Ontario Car Insurance Rates Have Increased
Apr 19, 2017
Ontario car insurance rates have increased. See how much car insurance premiums could be going up next time you get your renewal.