Compare quotes from the brands you trust.
Saving money on health insurance has never been this easy.
1. You search
You can search for your lowest rates from top insurance providers.
2. You choose
You select your best quote from the options available to you.
3. Secure your rate
You can secure your rate with the provider you want.
Compare personal health insurance quotes in minutes
As lucky as we Canadians are to have access to coverage for health care, the fact is, our well-known health care system does not cover everything, all of the time. There are instances when, if you don't have supplemental health insurance, you'll have to foot the bill. Unfortunately, these bills for the health-related services you and your family may need can add up quickly. But the good news is, you don't have to go it alone.
Whether you're looking for just a basic health insurance policy or comprehensive package that includes coverage for health, dental, prescription drug and vision coverage, you can compare personal health insurance quotes from many of Canada's top health insurance providers at Kanetix.ca.
Why would I need supplemental health insurance?
Government health insurance, also known as Medicare, is Canada's publicly funded health care system. Although it is often thought of as one single national plan that is the same across all jurisdictions, it is in fact 13 different health care insurance plans. There is one health care plan for each province or territory.
Although each jurisdiction's plans will vary, there is a common thread throughout according to the Government of Canada: Canadians will have access to medically necessary hospital and physician services without having to pay out-of-pocket. Basically, the coverage you have through your province or territory covers the core health services you, or your family, may need. However, if you need to access or purchase a health care service that is considered non-core then you'll likely have to pay for it yourself. The most common times when you'll need to reach for your wallet include: trips to the dentist; needing prescription glasses, or visiting the pharmacy for medication.
Many Canadians are lucky to have group health care benefits through their workplace, but for people who are self-employed, between jobs or retired, getting private health insurance that covers the services that Medicare doesn't can help lessen the costs. Even if you have group health insurance benefits through work, you may find it doesn't cover the services you specifically require which may necessitate the need for getting a personal health insurance plan.
Coverage will vary depending on the policy you purchase and the health insurance provider's specific plan. Through Kanetix.ca, however, there are four main types of health insurance policies available:
- Basic Health. With a basic health insurance plan, you'll usually be covered for costs that stem from ambulance expenses, upgrading to a semi-private hospital room, mobility aids (like a walker or crutch), prosthetics and limited home support services. Some of the more robust basic health plans will include travel insurance, coverage for health practitioners (like massage therapy and chiropractic services), and even limited vision coverage. In general, dental care and prescription coverage is generally not included in a basic health insurance plan.
- Health and Drugs. With a health and drugs plan, the policy will usually include basic health coverage, like that described above, but also prescription drug coverage. In some cases, prescriptions will be paid fully, up to an annual maximum, while in others it may cover a portion of the fee (e.g. 80% or 90%). Coverage is typically for net-new prescriptions, but if you have a pre-existing condition for which you regularly take medication, you may be able to purchase optional health insurance coverage that will cover these prescriptions too.
- Health and Dental. A health and dental insurance plan usually includes basic health coverage along with dental care. Dental coverage will typically include the basics like check-ups (and all that a check-up entails) as well as other common dental services like x-rays, extractions, fillings and root canals. It will also cover more extensive dental work, like crowns, bridges and dentures. Most health and dental insurance policies cover a portion of the dental fees, but not all.
- Health, Dental and Drugs. The most robust of all the health insurance policies, this type of plan will cover you to some extent for each of the three major needs: basic health, dental and prescription costs.
No matter what type of health insurance policy you need, make sure you compare policies to ensure that the one you purchase provides you with the coverage for what's most important to you. Whether it's health insurance coverage for prescription drugs, dental or vision care, hearing aids, or access to massage therapy, each policy's coverage and limits will vary and one-size does not fit all.
Once you've purchased an individual health insurance policy, the process for submitting a health insurance claim will vary. It may vary by insurer, but it may also vary depending on the type of claim (dental vs. drug vs vision, for example). According to the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association, some plans require you to pay upfront after which you would submit your receipts to your health insurance provider for reimbursement. Other individual health insurance plans provide you with a drug card or dental identification card, which allows the pharmacist or dentist to submit the bill to the insurer electronically and receive payment directly.
Since coverage for "non-core" health services will vary by province and territory, you should take the time to find out what coverage you have, and more importantly what coverage you don't have. We've listed each of the relevant websites to help you learn more about your government health insurance plan (simply click the province or territory you live in):
How do I get a quote for a private health insurance plan?
At Kanetix.ca, getting quotes for a private health insurance plan is easily done online. Whether you're looking for a basic health insurance policy or a comprehensive policy that covers the works, like health, dental, vision, hearing, or prescription drug medications, we can help you:
- Get personal health insurance quotes from many of Canada's leading health insurance providers
- Compare health insurance policies and features
- Connect you to the health insurance provider who offers you the coverage that meets all your health care needs
The Kanetix.ca health insurance comparison service is available to Canadians, nationwide, and with our priority phone lines, you'll be able to secure your family or individual health insurance coverage quickly and seamlessly.
Compare personal health insurance quotes today
Through Kanetix.ca, find an affordable personal health care insurance plan that you need, with quick online quotes and easy access to Canada's top health insurance coverage providers.
10 Dumb Things We Do That Would Be Covered by Home Insurance
May 26, 2020
Home may be where your heart is, but sometimes it’s not where your mind is at. Now and again, we all have a momentary lapse in judgment that results in damages to your home. Sometimes it’s simply a run of…
What You Need to Do Before Getting Your Car Towed
May 21, 2020
After getting into a car accident, you may need to call a tow truck to help get your vehicle to the repair shop. However, before getting your car towed, make sure to take the following steps. Move Your Vehicle to…
How Life Insurance Can Help You Care for Adult Children with Special Needs
May 13, 2020
Parents of children with special needs often have to plan carefully for the future. In addition to looking out for their own welfare, they have to prepare for the ongoing needs of their offspring. That includes the time after the…