To use the horn or not, Canadians are divided on the answer.
A recent Kanetix.ca survey has found that 46 per cent of Canadians are horn happy. This is the number who said they were likely to use their vehicle's horn to voice their disapproval of any traffic-related issue. That leaves 54 per cent who said they're more likely to watch what's going on around them in silent displeasure. Which way do you lean?
When should a vehicle horn be used?
All vehicles come equipped with a horn, it's the law, and your vehicle's horn must work otherwise you run the risk of a ticket which in turn could affect your auto insurance premium. But what exactly is the purpose of your vehicle's horn? In a word: safety. It should be used as a warning or an alert to other road users of a potentially dangerous situation. For some drivers however, the horn is more than just a safety feature it's an all-purpose communication tool, which the survey found, may at times counter the horn's primary objective.
Common reasons for honking the horn
Most survey respondents admitted that it was for safety reasons when they used their horn. Almost half (46 per cent) said that when they lay on the horn, it's when another driver was doing, or about to do, something dangerous like cut them off.
The second most popular reason for honking the horn is driver inattention at a stop light. Almost one in five (17 per cent) said they primarily use their horn when sitting at a traffic light where the driver ahead of them hasn't noticed it has changed. It could be argued this is a safety issue, but, there are those who would say it's more about impatience. Whatever side of the coin you land on, many drivers see red when the light turns green and traffic doesn't start to move as expected.
The survey also found that drivers use their horn for purposes that have nothing to do with safety or the flow of traffic. According to the survey results, 10 per cent of men and six per cent of women admit that when they use their horn it's typically to give an audible nod, to say hello, to someone they know.
Almost half of Canadians on edge due to a car's horn blast
Whether it's for safety, traffic flow or just to say hello, 48 per cent of Canadians on the receiving end of a horn blast in the last three years said they've been startled to the point of feeling agitated, unsafe or even potentially getting into an accident. This finding is good reason to limit your horn usage to just those times when it's needed to ensure safe road and driving conditions; any other time could have negative repercussions. After all, do you want to be sharing the road with someone who is feeling stressed, agitated or unsafe?
Say hello to lower auto insurance rates
Instead of saying hello to an acquaintance with the tap of your horn, say hello to lower auto insurance rates. At Kanetix.ca, you can compare quotes easily online to find the lowest rates. Shop your rate today for a better price.