No one plans on being ill or injured while on holidays, this is why most visitors to Canada underestimate the likelihood of such an occurrence happening to them. But the fact is illness or injury can happen at any time, not only ruining a nice holiday but also causing undue financial burden.
Canadians and visitors alike often forget that without Canadian Medicare coverage, emergency medical care can be extremely costly. According to a leading Canadian travel insurance provider, daily hospitalization rates can range from $1500 per day to $3500 per day for non-residents. These rates also vary by province, type of treatment and the condition of the patient upon admission to the facility.
Travel health insurance for visitors to Canada helps protect visitors from unexpected costs due to accidents, health and medical emergencies while travelling in Canada. In addition, in the event of a serious accident or illness, travel health and medical insurance for visitors also pays for the cost of returning them home.
In general, emergency travel health and medical insurance for visitors to Canada can be purchased by visitors to Canada who are:
- Not insured or eligible for benefits under a Canadian Government Health Insurance Plan
- Currently in good health
- Have been in Canada for less than 2 years
- Emergency hospitalization
- Emergency medical services and treatment
- Local ambulance services
- Prescription drugs
- Emergency transportation/air ambulance
- Return home
- Dental accidents
Travel insurance savings tips
- Don't accept the first package you're offered. Travel insurance policies can vary significantly.
- Don't feel pressured into buying a policy from your travel agent. Although you may save a little time by buying your policy through your travel agent, it is unlikely you'll get your policy at the best price.
- Get online visitors to Canada travel insurance quotes from competing travel insurance providers at Kanetix.ca. Since your quotes are displayed side-by-side you'll easily be able to save both time and money.
Looking for more information about visitors to Canada?
- Read: The top 15 states visiting Canada
- Read: The top 15 countries visiting Canada
- Read: 7,000 reasons why visitors to Canada need travel insurance
- Read: More tourists than Canadians
- Get quotes: Visitors travelling to Canada emergency medical health travel insurance