A look at accidents in Canada*
Whatever you want to call it, an accident, crash or fender-bender, have you ever wondered how common mishaps are in Canada?
Of all the car insurance quotes completed online in 2011, 13 per cent included at least one fender-bender. Broken down by province and you can see that where you live may play a role in how likely you're to be in an accident:
- Alberta: 13%
- Ontario: 13%
- Quebec: 15%
- New Brunswick: 12%
- Prince Edward Island: 12%
- Nova Scotia: 11%
Of all the drivers, regardless of where they lived, 11 per cent indicated they had been involved in an accident and of the accidents listed, the most common involved:
- Hitting an object or other vehicle
- Rear-ending another vehicle
- Turning left, and
- Hard to handle weather.
- 22.3% occurred in December, January or February
- 29.5% happened in March, April or May
- 26.7% took place in June, July or August, and
- 21.5% happened in September, October or November.
You're in the driver's seat
No matter what your driving history, whether you have an accident or not, compare auto insurance rates every year. It's the only way to make sure you are not overpaying for the auto insurance coverage you need.
Looking for more interesting information about drivers in Canada?
- Read: So you think you can drive?
- Read: Women are better drivers?
- Read: Are teens becoming better drivers?