Canadians love to travel to Mexico and Cuba; Mexico is the second most visited country by Canadians and Cuba is the fourth. In 2010, both Mexico and Cuba introduced new entry requirements affecting Canadians looking for some fun in the sun at these two popular vacation spots.

Travel requirements for Canadians visiting Mexico

Effective March 1, 2010, Canadians travelling to Mexico must present a valid passport as proof of their identity. It does not matter if you are driving or flying, you will now need to show your passport to enter Mexico.

Travel requirements for Canadians visiting Cuba

Effective May 1, 2010, Canadians travelling to Cuba will not only have to present a valid passport upon entry into Cuba but will also have to present proof of travel health insurance.

Travellers visiting Cuba must have a travel insurance policy that covers emergency medical expenses. The Cuba Tourist Board recommends that coverage be bought in the traveller's home country. After purchasing your coverage, keep your documentation (the policy, certificate and/or card) as you will be expected to show it upon arrival; Cuban authorities will want to confirm that you have coverage for the entire duration of your stay.

Tourists who arrive in Cuba without travel health insurance will be required to purchase it from a Cuban insurance company at the airport.

Travel with more than just a passport

Emergency medical travel insurance is a must-have for all travelling Canadians, whether or not the country you are visiting requires it. Even for the smallest of accidents, or the most common illnesses, emergency medical travel insurance offers you protection by ensuring you get the attention you need, when you need it, while not having to worry about how your emergency treatment will get paid.

Get travel insurance today.

Looking for more information about entry requirements when travelling?

For up-to-date information about the documentation you may need to enter Mexico or Cuba, or to return home to Canada visit the Canada Border Services Agency and Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada websites.

Back to top