Cross border travelling Gone are the days when all you needed to drive across the border was your birth certificate (or citizenship card) and a piece of government-issued photo ID like your driver's licence.

Travel requirements for Canadians visiting the United States by land or water

When entering the U.S., Canadian citizens will have to present one of the following Western Hemisphere Travel Initative-approved documents:

  • a valid passport
  • an enhanced driver's licence (EDL) or enhanced identification card (EIC) from a province where an approved program has been implemented
  • a NEXUS card
  • a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card
  • a Secure Certificate of Indian Status (where available and approved by the U.S.)

Travel requirements for Canadians visiting the United States by air

If your travels require that you fly, remember that since January 2007, Canadians flying to, through or from the U.S. must show a:

  • valid passport, or
  • NEXUS card (where Canadian and Amercian airport kiosks are available)

Pack more than your passport

Making sure you have travel insurance is just as important as having the right travel documents with you. If you're planning a trip, travel insurance is a good idea no matter how long, or short, the visit.

Emergency medical travel insurance is a must-have for all travelling Canadians. Even Canada's Consular Affairs don't mince words when they say on their website "DO NOT leave Canada without supplementary medical insurance." Even for the smallest of accidents, or the most common illnesses, emergency medical travel insurance offers you protection by ensuring you get the attention you need, when you need it while not having to worry about how your emergency treatment will get paid.

Before you leave, get emergency medical travel insurance and pack it alongside your other must-have documentation.

Looking for more information about entry requirements when travelling?

For up-to-date information about the documentation you may need to enter the United States or to return home to Canada visit the Canada Border Services Agency and Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada websites.

Back to top