The Canadian Green Car Awards recognize vehicles with the greatest potential to minimize the overall impact of automobiles on the environment. The vehicles are nominated by judges rather than car manufacturers and evaluated based on environmental benefits and their mass-market potential.
Why are "green" cars important?
"The transportation sector makes up about 25 per cent of Canada's greenhouse gas emissions. It's the largest emitting sector in Ontario, at 34 per cent, and rising. So it's critical we find ways to decarbonize it. While efforts to get more people on to public transit will make the biggest difference, people are still going to drive, so let's make vehicles as clean as possible," said Cherise Burda of the Pembina Institute when last year's winner was announced.
2016 Green Car Award Winners
This year the Chevrolet Volt has been named the Canadian Green Car Award overall winner (previous winners include the Kia Soul EV, Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Honda Accord Hybrid). However there were a variety of other winners in specific categories. The category winners include:
- Battery-Electric/Zero Emission—Nissan LEAF
- Plug-in Hybrid—Chevrolet Volt
- Conventional Hybrid—Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- Efficient Internal Combustion—Mazda3 GS
- Efficient Three-Row Family Vehicle—Volvo XC90 T6
- Fun Car—esla Model S P90D
New car? New car insurance
If you are leaning towards making the switch and going green, you could save some green by comparing car insurance quotes. On average, Kanetix.ca customers save $750 on their car insurance after shopping around. See if you could be saving too and compare car insurance quotes today.
None of these cars spark your interest?
If you are looking for a new car but none of those listed above catch your eye, perhaps one of these top selling vehicles in Canada will.
- Read: Top 10 Trucks In Canada
- Read: Top 10 Cars In Canada
- Read: Best-Selling Minivans in Canada
- Read: Canada's Best SUVs: Top 10 Selling SUVs in Canada
- Read: Which Cars Hold their Value the Best?
View the full list of Canadian Green Car Award winners and finalists, as well as past winners.