Compare Car Insurance Quotes in Nova Scotia
Compare prices from the names you trust.
Saving money on car insurance has never been this easy.
We search for your lowest rates from over 50 insurers.
You select your best quote from the options available to you.
We secure your rate
We connect you to the company to secure your selected rate.
Pay less for car insurance in Nova Scotia
To legally drive a car in Canada, you need auto coverage. The good news is there's no law that requires you to overpay for your coverage. More often then not, people purchase their first policy and then renew every year without much thought. It's definitely convenient, but that convenience could be costing you hundreds of dollars that you could be saving.
Nova Scotia drivers pay some of the lowest rates in Canada with the exception of Quebec drivers. The typical rate is less than a thousand dollars, at $957 for a 35-year old driver.
- Ontario - $1441 per year
- Prince Edward Island - $1137 per year
- Alberta - $1088 per year
- New Brunswick -$1020 per year
- Nova Scotia - $957 per year
- Quebec - $590 per year
Even though Nova Scotia drivers pay less than most for auto insurance, your premiums could be even lower. All you have to do is shop around for a better rate. In fact, Nova Scotia's Finance and Treasury Board encourages it, "Shop around to different insurance companies to find the best service and policy for you."
Real rates for real customers.
Car insurance in Nova Scotia is mandatory
Just like elsewhere in Canada, having auto insurance in Nova Scotia is required to drive on any public roadway. According to the Nova Scotia Finance and Treasury Board your policy at minimum must have coverage for:
- Third-party liability (Section A)
In the Consumers' Auto Insurance Guide created by the Office of the Superintendent of Insurance for Nova Scotia drivers, these mandatory coverages are described in the following way.
- Third party liability: Covers you if you injure someone or damage someone else's property with your auto and they sue you. You must have at least $500,000 of liability coverage. Most Nova Scotians carry at least $1,000,000.
- Accident benefits: Includes medical and rehabilitation expense benefits, funeral expense benefits, and loss of income benefits for yourself and other passengers in the event of an accident.
- Uninsured and unidentified automobile insurance: This section of your policy covers you if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured or unidentified automobile.
Optional auto insurance coverage is available
In addition to the compulsory coverage (third-party liability, accident benefits, and uninsured/unidentified automobile), there is optional coverage that you can include in your policy. Two of the best known are:
- Collision (or upset) coverage: This covers damage to your vehicle as a result of an impact or collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage: This insures your car against damage caused by non-collision scenarios like theft and vandalism.
Both of these-collision and comprehensive-likely come with a deductible.
Amped up for Battery Electric Vehicles: 10 Cars That Will Spark Your Interest
Jul 24, 2017
Battery electric vehicles (BEVs), especially the Tesla Model S, are sparking the interest of Canadian drivers. More than one in three drivers (36 per cent) who requested auto insurance quotes at Kanetix.ca for a BEV got quotes for the Tesla Model S, followed by the Nissan Leaf (17 per cent). See how the rest ranked.
Breaking: Ontario Car Insurance Rates Have Increased
Jul 18, 2017
Breaking News: Ontario car insurance rates have increased. According to the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, car insurance rates for many Ontario drivers will be going up at renewal, instead of down. See how much your rates could be going up the next time you get your renewal documents.
Canada Is a Nation of Honda Drivers
Jul 17, 2017
When you take to the road, is your vehicle of choice a Honda or a Toyota? Chances are it is, as these two car brands consistently come out on top of the 10 most popular car manufacturers quoted for auto insurance online in Canada through Kanetix.ca.