Compare prices from the names you trust.
Saving money on car insurance has never been this easy.
We search for your lowest rates from over 50 insurers.
You select your best quote from the options available to you.
We secure your rate
We connect you to the company to secure your selected rate.
Car insurance in Oshawa
You need car insurance to drive in Oshawa; it's the law. On the bright side, there's no law that requires you to overpay for your car insurance. A great way to ensure you get the best rate is to shop around. You may have gotten a great rate a year ago, but that doesn't mean you can't get a great rate elsewhere. Make sure you're checking rates often.
Real rates for real customers.
The basics of your Oshawa car insurance policy
Your Oshawa car insurance policy is made up of a variety of coverages, some mandatory and some optional. The following are some of the mandatory coverages:
- Accident benefits: Accident Benefits covers the people in a vehicle in the event of injury. Coverage can include medical and rehabilitation costs, funeral expenses, death benefits, as well as income replacement. As of June, 2016 there are some changes to your Accident Benefits. Learn more about the changes.
- Third party liability: Third Party Liability coverage pays for a legal claim against the policyholder in the event that they are responsible (whether wholly or partially) for a collision that causes injury or damage to a third party. The minimum limit requirement is $200,000 although most drivers go with at least $1 million.
- Direct compensation - Property damage: Commonly referred to as DCPD, this provides coverage for damage to your car and any property inside the car as a result of an automobile accident in which you are not-at-fault.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: This component of the standard Ontario auto insurance policy provides coverage for you and your family if you are in an accident and injured or killed by hit-and-run driver or by a driver who is not insured.
There are optional coverages as well, that can be added to your car insurance policy to ensure you're protected in the way you expect to be covered. Two of the most common coverages are:
- Collision: This covers damage to your vehicle as a result of an impact or collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive: This insures your car against damage caused by events like theft and vandalism.
Both of these optional coverages typically come with a deductible. A deductible is the portion of an insurance claim you agree to pay. Your deductibles will factor into how your auto insurance rates are calculated. The higher the deductible the lower your rates.
What goes into your Oshawa car Insurance rate?
The average age of drivers shopping for car insurance at Kanetix.ca is 38 and male drivers (65%) outnumber females (35%) by a significant degree. Car insurance shoppers in Oshawa realize that the rate offered by auto insurance firms relies on several different elements, including the following:
- Where you live: Toronto drivers pay some of the highest rates for car insurance in the country. It's a big city after all with lots of drivers and cars on the road. More people equals more cars which translates into more chances of being in a collision or even theft.
- Your commute: Thousands of Oshawa residents commute throughout the Greater Toronto Area and are susceptible to intense traffic congestion and other demanding driving conditions. This will have a negative impact on your insurance premiums as opposed to those who use public transportation to get to work, which contributes to lower rates. Similarly, those working closer to home are also in a more favourable position to get a break on insurance costs.
- The car you drive: Car insurance policy holders or those doing research to get the best rates, realize the vehicle model and year is a major component in determining auto insurance premiums.
Quite simply, some cars have higher theft rates than others. Other models cost more to repair while some are safer to drive. These variations as well as dozens of other differences are examined carefully when generating insurance premiums.
Drivers shopping for auto insurance in Oshawa, list the Honda Civic as the most popular car. The Mazda3 is the second most commonly insured automobile followed by the Toyota Corolla. The Chevrolet Cruze and Volkswagen Jetta hold the fourth and fifth spot in terms of popularity among drivers searching for low rates on Kanetix.ca.
- Your driving history: It should surprise no motorist that his or her driving record will be carefully screened before car insurance rates are issued. Insurance premiums will reflect your past driving behaviour as insurance professionals examine all accidents, infractions, tickets or charges that appear on your driving record. Exemplary driving habits, however, will certainly be treated with high regard and therefore should qualify you for lower insurance premiums.
More than half of all drivers in Oshawa have had at least one car accident, as reported while getting their auto insurance quotes. In fact, 58 per cent have reported at least one incident. Significantly less drivers (46%), report that they have received at least one ticket. Half of all male drivers indicated they had at least one ticket, which is much higher when compared to the female group at 40%.
Go the extra mile for insurance savings
As you compare rates, it is a good idea to ask potential insurance firms about all of the discounts they offer. Completing a driver training course is one way to get a discount. To save even further, consider installing additional security features on your vehicle, or having an alarm system in your garage.
Compare rates regularly to ensure you're getting the best price for your car insurance coverage. Compare rates annually at renewal, but also if your situation changes like when you get married (or divorced), move, buy a new car, add drivers to your policy (like your teen), get a ticket, are involved in a collision, change jobs or retire. These are all ideal times when you should shop around to see if a cheap car insurance rate can be had.
Kanetix.ca has proudly served Canadians with over 7,000,000 competitive insurance quotes over the past 17 years.
Not ready to shop for insurance today?Set a renewal reminder and we'll let you know when it's time to save.
Hobbies That Make Your Life Insurer Squeamish
May 26, 2017
There are people who like living on the edge. They have nerves of steel and boundless energy and are as nimble as a cat. Understandably, many people cast a wary eye on these risk-takers; after all why would anyone want to jump out of perfectly good airplane or race down a quarter mile track at speeds that defy logic? Not surprisingly, your life insurer may be asking these questions as well.
Going on Vacation? 10 Ways to Protect Your Home
May 24, 2017
There's nothing better than going on vacation. But before you leave on holiday, it's important you take the necessary steps to protect your home while you're away.
#KanetixLovesTrees Has Taken Root by Planting 1,250 Trees
May 16, 2017
#KanetixLovesTrees, and thanks to the best customers ever, we reached our goal to plant 1,250 trees! So while you saved some green, we planted some green to help minimize the impact driving has on the environment.