Compare prices from the names you trust.
Saving money on car insurance has never been this easy.
We search for your lowest rates from over 50 insurers.
You select your best quote from the options available to you.
We secure your rate
We connect you to the company to secure your selected rate.
Car insurance in Quebec City
Quebec City is the capital city of the province of Quebec and home to more than 520,000 residents. After Montreal, which is 253 kilometres (157 miles) away, it is the second largest city in the province. The average age of drivers shopping for car insurance at Kanetix.ca is 39, and male drivers (65%) outnumber females (35%) by a significant degree.
Real rates for real customers.
What your insurance covers
Your Quebec City car insurance policy has mandatory coverages as well as a few optional coverages that can be purchased. The mandatory coverages are broken down in to two components:
- Public auto insurance: Your driver's licence is administered by the government agency called the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ), and includes Injury coverage in the cost. Each year, premiums are set for Quebec's public automobile insurance plan. Premiums can vary depending on your driving record as well as demerit points accumulated. The public automobile insurance plan in Quebec ensures that all its residents are covered for injury or death resulting from an automobile collision.
- Private auto insurance: Your private plan covers civil liability as well as property damage. This coverage is obtained through private insurance companies that Kanetix.ca features. The minimum legal coverage is $50,000, but it is much more common to have liability that is set to $1 million or $2 million.
There are more than three optional coverages that can be added to your Quebec City car insurance policy, but the most common are the following:
- Collision (or upset) coverage: This covers damage to your vehicle as a result of an impact or collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage: This insures your car against damage caused by non-collision scenarios like theft and vandalism.
- All perils coverage: This is both collision/upset coverage and comprehensive coverage rolled up into one.
These optional coverages typically come with a deductible. A deductible is the portion of an insurance claim you agree to pay. Your deductibles will factor into how your auto insurance rates are calculated. The higher the deductible the lower your rates.
What factors affect your insurance rate?
Car insurance shoppers in Quebec City realize that the rate offered by auto insurance
firms rely on several factors and pieces of information. Some of the basic elements insurance providers evaluate include: where you live in Quebec City, your commute, the car you drive, and your driving history.
- Your neighbourhood: The second most populous city in Quebec will experience busy traffic conditions on a regular basis and drivers have to cope accordingly. However, certain areas will contain regular traffic congestion and others temporary surges now and again. Insurance agents and specialists will make use of the appropriate statistics based on where you live to help them determine the cost of your insurance.
- Your commute: There are some drivers who specifically use public transportation to get to work because it can result in lower insurance payments. Not everyone has that luxury. Those with greater commutes to work should expect to pay slightly more due to increased risks and driving demands that they face. Meanwhile, for those working closer to home, expect to get a price break on insurance costs.
- The car you drive: Vehicle model and year is a basic component in determining auto insurance premiums. There are dozens of tables and databases with information on theft rates, repair costs, safety ratings and performance standards that insurance agents refer to establish accurate premiums.
In Quebec City, drivers shopping for low rates list the Honda Civic as the most popular car. The Toyota Corolla and Mazda3 are the second and third most commonly insured automobiles. In fourth spot is the Hyundai Elantra followed in fifth place by the Toyota Yaris.
- Your driving history: A person's driving record will also be an item that insurance companies spend time screening. It is a straightforward look back at your driving behaviour, which includes all accidents, infractions, tickets or charges that appear on your driving record. A history of good driving is generally looked upon favourably as far as costs go.
While searching for the lowest insurance premiums, more than half of all drivers in Quebec City indicate they have had at least one car accident. More precisely, 62 per cent have reported at least one incident. Significantly less drivers (40%), report that they have received at least one ticket. When you compare male and female drivers from Quebec City with one ticket it is almost equal with females edging out males 41% to 40%.
Get more savings with these tips:
If drivers use some form of roadside assistance program, insurance companies sometimes offer a slight discount in rates. According to shopping rate data from Kanetix.ca, 33 per cent of car insurance customers in Quebec City use roadside assistance programs and would qualify for the discount if it were available.
Auto insurance companies offer fairly significant cost savings to customers that hold multiple policies. Slightly less than half (43%) of Quebec insurance customers are expected to apply for a multi-line discount from their provider.
Insurance customers often forget to ask for additional discounts. Check with your insurance provider often to maximize on your insurance savings. Taking driver training courses, belonging to certain groups or having extra security features in your home or car to prevent theft or vandalism are all viable ways to save on car insurance.
Ensure you're getting the best price for your car insurance coverage by comparing rates annually at renewal and also during the following times:
- When you get married (or divorced)
- You move
- Buy a new car
- Add drivers to your policy (like your teen)
- Get a ticket, or are involved in a collision
- Change jobs or retire
Kanetix.ca has proudly served Canadians with over 7,000,000 competitive insurance quotes over the past 17 years.
Not ready to shop for insurance today?Set a renewal reminder and we'll let you know when it's time to save.
Top 10 Most Stolen Vehicles in Canada
Dec 13, 2017
This year's list of the most stolen cars in Canada is out. The list, published annually by the IBC, reveals the most stolen cars in Canada. Is your car a favourite target of thieves?
#ParkingFails Caught on Camera
Dec 5, 2017
I admit it. Parking is not what I excel at and it turns out, I’m not the only one who struggles with it. A few months back, I came across this picture-perfect parking job near the Kanetix.ca offices. We’re located in downtown Toronto where parking is at a premium—pun intended—and I thought my colleagues would
Streetcar is King of the Road
Nov 21, 2017
King Street Transit Pilot has Toronto drivers seeking alternative east-west routes. To curb traffic congestion on Toronto’s busiest TTC surface route, the city’s King Street Transit Pilot kicked off November 12, 2017 and is now in full swing. The pilot will run for one year and will affect all areas along King between Bathurst Street