If you drive Canada's best-selling truck, a Ford F-Series pickup, you might be paying more for your auto insurance coverage because it's a common target for theft. According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada's (IBC) annual list of the most stolen vehicles in Canada, nine of the 10 are Ford's popular pickup:
- 2007 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2015 Lexus GX460 4-door AWD SUV
- 2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
"Nationally, Ford F350 trucks hold the top five spots," said Henry Tso, Vice-President, Investigative Services, IBC.
In fact, it is the Lexus GX460 that stands out as the lone non-Ford vehicle as being one of the vehicles most stolen in Canada.
When thefts are broken down by region, however, there are some interesting differences in the types of vehicles most likely to be taken.
"In Ontario, thieves target high-end SUVs and trucks, including Chevrolet's Tahoe, Silverado and Suburban," continued Tso. "In Alberta, once again Ford's F250s and F350s dominate the list. In Atlantic Canada, the Nissan Maxima is stolen most often, followed by the Chevy Silverado and Jeep Liberty."