Canada has one of the highest immigration rates in the world, welcoming about 250,000 new permanent residents each year.
Immigrating to Canada permanently is an exciting opportunity. However, there are several things you should consider before you apply to be a permanent resident. And, once you have come to Canada, there are many things to consider for making your life the best and most interesting it can be in your new country. Coming to any country means getting to know the people around you, working with them, playing with them, and talking with them about what matters to you. You are now part of a new place, a place that will matter to you, and getting as involved in your community as possible will make you feel connected to everyone and everything around you. Like anything, once you are invested in it, you care more.
You can come to Canada to study or work. Whatever you are coming for, know that there is a lot of help out there for you. If the process is overwhelming, you can get help from specialists in immigration, or you can get information from the Government of Canada.
PROGRAMS FOR NEW RESIDENTS
When applying to come to Canada, there are a number of federally-funded programs available to you that will help you enter Canada quicker, and with financial help. Canada welcomes new residents, and wants every resident to be successful in her/his new life. If you have not considered getting assistance or special consideration for your move, you may want to look into programs such as:
- Skilled Trades: If you are a qualified tradesperson, the Federal Skilled Trades Program may be an option. As Canada looks for skilled trade workers for fields such as construction and manufacturing, an applicant can apply to the program and have their application processed rather quickly - within 12 months. The program was launched in January 2013.
- Federal Skilled Workers: For applicants who are educated and have worked in professional fields such as engineering, IT and healthcare. You can apply to the program without a current job offer. For new immigrants who want to work in Quebec, your application must be done according to the province's specifications under the Quebec-selected skilled worker (QSW) program.
- Investors, Entrepreneurs and self-employed People: Many immigrants want to come to a new country and design their won life through building a new business. Entrepreneurs contribute to employment and economic growth, and Canada's commitment to new business is shown with the existence of this program.
- Canadian Experience Class: Many potential immigrants already have experience working in Canada. This program helps them apply and continue that experience, in order to become a permanent resident.
- Live-in caregivers: Qualified newcomers who are able to care for children, the elderly or those who have physical or developmental disabilities may apply for entry into Canada under this program.
- Refugees: Canada has long been known as a country that welcomes people from troubled areas of the world. If you must flee your home country, you may apply under the Refugee Program.
- Provincial Nominees: You can also apply to come to Canada by first having the government of one of the provinces or territories nominate you for entry to that jurisdiction.
As a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you can also sponsor family members in other countries to enter Canada.