Compare prices from the names you trust.
Saving money on travel insurance has never been this easy.
We search for your lowest rates from top insurance providers.
You select your best quote from the options available to you.
We secure your rate
We connect you to the company to secure your selected rate.
Snowbirds, get travel insurance for your winter escape
Travel insurance is necessary for Canadians who escape our harsh winters. Snowbirds are typically travellers over the age of 55 years old who travel for more than 30 days at a time. Whether you are heading to Florida, Arizona, the Caribbean or another warmer destination, we compare quotes from Canada's top travel insurance providers to help you get the best rate and coverage for your needs.
Why is travel insurance important for snowbirds?
Canadian health insurance is typically not valid outside of your province. If you are injured while away, it could be financially ruining, given the average costs of medical care in the U.S. or abroad. Make sure you are protected with travel insurance for Snowbirds. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, it is especially important to obtain a travel insurance policy to cover any emergency expenses relating to your condition.
What policies are available for snowbirds?
- Single trip emergency medical travel insurance: Medical expenses in most countries can quite often cost thousands of dollars a day. Sickness or injuries is definitely one thing you shouldn't take a chance with while outside of Canada. Purchasing emergency travel medical insurance can help your finances and your life.
- Multi-trip emergency medical travel insurance: If you think it is likely that you'll make more than one trip per year, this could be your most cost effective option. Trips of up to 35 days are accommodated and plans range from basic to fairly comprehensive.
- All inclusive travel insurance: This policy covers most unforeseeable situations that you could encounter during your trip. With the convenience of one purchase, the all inclusive travel insurance policy is often a good value in comparison to individual specialized policies. Depending on the policy, not only does it provide the basics like emergency medical but also trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, delayed/lost baggage and more.
What does a travel insurance policy cover for snowbirds?
Designed for Canadians who spend time in warmer destinations, travel insurance for Snowbirds is a type of emergency medical travel insurance to provide medical coverage while away. Here is a list of coverages that a typical policy should cover:
- Emergency sickness and injury: Coverage for treatment of unforeseen medical events
- Pre-existing eedical conditions: Coverage for emergency expenses related to stable medical conditions
- Hospitalization: Coverage for hospital fees, including doctors, nurses, drugs, and tests
Looking for more information about travel insurance in Canada and for Canadians abroad? The Government of Canada has many resources to help:
For all the information you need to understand why travel coverage is an essential purchase for your vacation, visit Travel Insurance 101 for a primer or visit our travel insurance glossary to get a clear understanding and definitions on key terms. If you need further information or have questions on travel, you can explore other travel info, related questions and answers here.
Going on Vacation? 10 Ways to Protect Your Home
May 24, 2017
There's nothing better than going on vacation. But before you leave on holiday, it's important you take the necessary steps to protect your home while you're away.
#KanetixLovesTrees Has Taken Root by Planting 1,250 Trees
May 16, 2017
#KanetixLovesTrees, and thanks to the best customers ever, we reached our goal to plant 1,250 trees! So while you saved some green, we planted some green to help minimize the impact driving has on the environment.
Air Canada Ditches Aeroplan, Will Develop Its Own Loyalty Program
May 16, 2017
Air Canada is ending its longstanding relationship with Aeroplan. Recently, the company announced it would be cutting ties with Aeroplan effective June 30, 2020, and will create its own loyalty program for its customers instead. It’s a decision which affects almost 5 million Aeroplan rewards collectors. We've announced we're launching our own loyalty program in