Compare prices from the names you trust.
Saving money on travel insurance has never been this easy.
We search for your lowest rates from top insurance providers.
You select your best quote from the options available to you.
We secure your rate
We connect you to the company to secure your selected rate.
Snowbirds, get travel insurance for your winter escape
Travel insurance is necessary for Canadians who escape our harsh winters. Snowbirds are typically travellers over the age of 55 years old who travel for more than 30 days at a time. Whether you are heading to Florida, Arizona, the Caribbean or another warmer destination, we compare quotes from Canada's top travel insurance providers to help you get the best rate and coverage for your needs.
Why is travel insurance important for snowbirds?
Canadian health insurance is typically not valid outside of your province. If you are injured while away, it could financially ruin you, given the average costs of medical care in the U.S. or abroad. Make sure you are protected with travel insurance for Snowbirds. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, it is especially important to obtain a travel insurance policy to cover any emergency expenses related to your condition.
What policies are available for snowbirds?
- Single trip emergency medical travel insurance: Medical expenses in most countries can quite often cost thousands of dollars a day. Sickness or injuries is definitely one thing you shouldn't take a chance with while outside of Canada. Purchasing emergency travel medical insurance can help your finances and your life.
- Multi-trip emergency medical travel insurance: If you think it is likely that you'll make more than one trip per year, this could be your most cost effective option. Trips of up to 35 days are accommodated and plans range from basic to fairly comprehensive.
- All inclusive travel insurance: This policy covers most unforeseeable situations that you could encounter during your trip. With the convenience of one purchase, the all inclusive travel insurance policy is often a good value in comparison to individual specialized policies. Depending on the policy, not only does it provide the basics like emergency medical but also trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, delayed/lost baggage and more.
What does a travel insurance policy cover for snowbirds?
Designed for Canadians who spend time in warmer destinations, travel insurance for Snowbirds is a type of emergency medical travel insurance to provide medical coverage while away. Here is a list of coverages that a typical policy should cover:
- Emergency sickness and injury: Coverage for treatment of unforeseen medical events
- Pre-existing eedical conditions: Coverage for emergency expenses related to stable medical conditions
- Hospitalization: Coverage for hospital fees, including doctors, nurses, drugs, and tests
Looking for more information about travel insurance in Canada and for Canadians abroad? The Government of Canada has many resources to help:
For all the information you need to understand why travel coverage is an essential purchase for your vacation, visit Travel Insurance 101 for a primer or visit our travel insurance glossary to get a clear understanding and definitions on key terms. If you need further information or have questions on travel, you can explore other travel info, related questions and answers here.
Ring in Spring: Travel Tips for March Break
Mar 2, 2018
Every year, thousands of Canadians weary of winter set their sights on the upcoming March Break holiday. Last year, Toronto's Pearson Airport estimated they'd see 130,000 travellers on the Friday prior to March Break; well over what they see on a typical day. You can expect all airports across the country to be busier than normal. Are you ready for the crowds? How about going through security clearance?
The Ultimate Myth Busters: Travel Insurance Edition
Feb 15, 2018
Is travel insurance just for trips abroad? Are you covered under your credit card's policy for the full duration of your trip? The truth behind common myths about travelling and travel medical insurance.
10 Destinations Worth Considering for a Mid-Winter Getaway
Feb 6, 2018
Are you in search of the sun and a unique winter getaway? From the tried and true to the exotic, we've listed 10 popular warm weather destinations that will help you shake off winter's chill.