Chevrolet dominates the plug-in popularity contest at Kanetix.ca
After winning the Canadian Green Car Award at the Green Living Show in April and selected as the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada's (AJAC) 2018 Canadian Green Car of the Year in March, the Chevrolet Bolt, and Chevrolet in general, is a hot commodity in the electric vehicle industry.
Beyond the awards however, it's Chevrolet's other plug-in option that is capturing the attention of consumers. The Chevrolet Volt ranks first in most auto insurance quotes requested by drivers seeking coverage for a plug-in from Kanetix.ca, with just over 18 per cent. The Tesla Model S is not far behind with 16 per cent of quotes requested.
Top 10 Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs) and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) at Kanetix.ca
Below are the top 10 plug-ins in Canada based on requested car insurance quotes since 2017:
- Chevrolet Volt (18.3 per cent)
- Tesla Model S (16.4 per cent)
- Nissan Leaf (11.5 per cent)
- Chevrolet Bolt (6.8 per cent)
- Tesla Model X (5.1 per cent)
- Smart ForTwo Electric Drive (4.8 per cent)
- Kia Soul EV (4.6 per cent)
- Ford Focus Electric (3.6 per cent)
- Ford Fusion Energi (3.6 per cent)
- Hyundai Ioniq Electric (2.7 per cent)
Understanding the difference between BEVs and PHEVs
Rather than an internal combustion engine, BEVs are battery powered vehicles that run solely on an electric motor. To replace 'fuel,' BEV drivers recharge their battery by plugging into a wall socket or a charging station. According to PlungnDrive.ca, there are more than 4,500 charging stations across Canada.
PHEVs, on the other hand, run primarily on electricity but still have a gas engine for backup, in case the vehicle runs out of charge. These vehicles can also be plugged into an outlet to recharge.
Electric vehicles are on the rise in Canada
The market for electric vehicles continues to grow in Canada as Canadians are looking for a more fuel-efficient ride. Here are some numbers on electric vehicles in Canada from FleetCarma.ca:
- Last year saw a 68 per cent increase in electric vehicle sales year-over-year
- In Ontario, electric vehicle sales more than doubled in 2017, with an increase of 120 per cent
- There are 50,000 BEVs and PHEVs on the road in Canada
More money in your pocket
Not only are BEVs and PHEVs fuel-efficient and eco-friendly but they can also save you money. Here are some quick facts from PlugnDrive.ca:
- Canadians who drive an electric vehicle save up to $2,000 on fuel compared to those who drive a non-electric vehicle and travel 20,000 km a year
- Canadians who live in British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec save up to $15,000 by buying an electric vehicle and charging station with provincially-sponsored incentives
- With many electric vehicles in the market, the cost of one comes at a reasonable price too with $27,000 as the low (before incentives)
We've got you covered
The market for electric cars in Canada is definitely there and at Kanetix.ca we can help you find the best insurance rate for your electric vehicle. Compare auto insurance quotes today to ensure you are getting the best price for your coverage.