As the most-liked vehicle on Facebook, with more than 8 million people giving it the thumbs up, the Ford Mustang also happens to be Canada's best-selling sports car. On the roads since 1964, the Ford Mustang holds a special place in the heart and mind of many drivers; it's an iconic muscle car.
If you're in the market to buy a sports car, there's more to consider than just the horses under the hood; there's auto insurance (of course) and gas too. These cars are meant to be driven and you'll likely be on the road a lot so we've included how much you can expect to spend on gas each year behind the wheel of one of Canada's best-selling sports cars.*
The best-selling sports cars in Canada in 2016
From full on muscle cars to just plain sporty, if you like your car to have some pep, these best-sellers might just do the trick.
- Ford Mustang
Expect to spend in the range of $1,711 to $3,183 per year for fuel.
- Subaru WRX/STi
Expect to spend in the range of $2,180 to $2,660 per year for fuel.
- Dodge Challenger
Expect to spend in the range of $1,916 to $3,292 per year for fuel.
- Chevrolet Camaro
Expect to spend in the range of $1,972 to $3,401 per year for fuel.
- Volkswagen GTI
Expect to spend in the range of $1,544 to $1,581 per year for fuel.
- BMW 2 Series
Expect to spend in the range of $1,831 to $2,049 per year for fuel.
- Chevrolet Corvette
Expect to spend in the range of $2,442 to $3,117 per year for fuel.
- Audi A5
Expect to spend in the range of $1,962 to $2,158 per year for fuel.
- Scion FR-S (and the Toyota 86, the FR-S's successor)
Expect to spend in the range of $1,831 to $2,158 per year for fuel.
- Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Expect to spend in the range of $2,638 to $2,660 per year for fuel.
Top selling sports cars in Canada and your auto insurance
If you know which sports car you'll be buying, compare quotes at Kanetix.ca to ensure you are getting the best price for your insurance coverage. We shop the market to help you get the lowest auto insurance rate.
But, what happens if there are a several sports cars that have caught your eye and you need help narrowing them down? Rates can vary significantly depending on the vehicle you drive, and may influence your purchase decision. We can help you on this front as well. If there are several vehicles on your short-list, you can easily compare quotes for up to 12 of them, side by side. Check it out for yourself! In just a minute, for example, you can compare quick quotes for all 10 of Canada's best-selling sports cars at once to see which are likely to cost you more, or less, to insure.
Choosing a new vehicle to buy can be complicated; let us help you make your purchase decision easier.
Looking for a vehicle with a little less muscle?
- Related Read: Top 10 Trucks in Canada
- Related Read: Top 10 Cars in Canada
- Related Read: Best-Selling Minivans in Canada
- Related Read: Canada's Best SUVs-Top 10 Selling SUVs in Canada
* Annual estimated fuel cost is based on driving 20 000 km per year—a realistic distance for the vast majority of Canadians—at fuel prices that are estimated to be $1.028/L for regular, $1.191/L for premium, $0.976/L for diesel, and $0.13/kWh for electricity. This information comes from Natural Resources Canada's Fuel Ratings Tool. Keep in mind that consumption varies within a model due to options chosen when the car is purchased, as well as how you drive, traffic, and road conditions
The sales data comes from Good Car Bad Car Auto Sales Data.