Compare prices from the names you trust.
How to get your travel insurance quotes on Kanetix.ca:
1. Enter your info
Just tell us your postal code, trip destination and basic passenger info.
2. Compare your quotes
We get quotes from 50+ insurance companies and show them to you side by side.
3. Choose the best quote
Select the best travel insurance quote from the options available to you.
4. Secure your rate
Connect to the provider to secure your rate.
Your Ticket to Peace of Mind: Travel Insurance
You’ve booked your flight and hotel, and pulled out your suitcase for when the urge to pack strikes. There’s only one thing you haven’t done yet, and you may be debating whether you need to bother, and that’s get travel insurance.
Debate no more because travel insurance is one item you don’t want to pass on when you’re about to embark on a vacation. By purchasing travel insurance before you leave, you’re protecting your health by ensuring you get the care you need in the event of an injury or illness; your bank account from the healthcare costs and related expenses of a medical emergency; and, your travel plans so you can get back on your feet sooner.
At Kanetix.ca, we make it easy for you to compare travel insurance quotes from Canada's top providers. We can find the right insurance policy for all Canadians, from families to individuals, from students to seniors. Our users save an average of 68%* when they compare travel insurance quotes with us.
Why should you pack travel insurance on your next trip?
The benefit of having travel insurance is it can save you from having to pay a significant amount of money should you need medical attention on your travels. Healthcare is expensive, especially in the U.S., and only about 10 per cent of out-of-country healthcare costs are covered by your provincial plan. Don't take the risk, buy a travel medical insurance policy before you leave.
There are several policy options available to ensure you get the coverage you need:
- Single trip emergency medical travel insurance: This type of policy covers you for a specific trip from the day you depart to the day you return. It typically covers most emergency medical costs including in-hospital care, diagnostics, prescriptions, and even return home services. This insurance keeps medical expenses affordable in otherwise unaffordable circumstances.
- Multi trip emergency medical travel insurance: This type of policy is good for frequent travellers. It covers you in the same ways as a single trip policy only for all the trips you may take within the span of a year. The only caveat is that the trip does not exceed the policy’s maximum number of days, but there’s a lot of options to choose from so you can buy a policy that fits your travel style.
- All inclusive travel insurance: This type of policy covers the works: emergency medical, trip cancellation/interruption, and baggage loss or delay.
- Trip cancellation insurance: If you already have supplementary travel health insurance, then perhaps it's trip cancellation insurance you're looking for. Vacations can easily get derailed by events outside of your control - whether you become suddenly unwell, find yourself unemployed, or there's a death or illness in your family.
No one anticipates getting sick or injured when they’re on vacation, but it happens. We’re fortunate to have healthcare coverage in Canada, but it does not cover you to the same extent when you travel.
Once you click into our quoter, you will be prompted to select a trip destination:
This is simple enough if you are looking for Single Trip insurance, but what happens if you are going on a cruise or looking for an annual plan to cover multiple trips to several different countries?
- If you plan on visiting more than one country, select the country you will be visiting the longest.
- If you are spending equal time in several countries, on a cruise ship for example, just select one of the countries you will be visiting. It does not matter which one.
- If you will be in the USA for six or more days, select the USA as your trip destination, even if you will be spending more time in another country.
The best time to purchase your travel insurance is before you leave. If you purchase it after you leave, you may find that you’re not covered for the full duration of your trip or are excluded from some policy benefits. As a result, it’s wise to start looking into your travel insurance options as soon as you know you’re going to travel. This will give you the time to shop rates for the best price (at Kanetix.ca of course!) and give you the time to review policy benefits and details. It will also give you the time needed, if you have a pre-existing condition, to complete any medical questionnaire that may be required and consult your doctor if necessary.
Medical bills accrued while travelling are not typically covered in full by your provincial healthcare plan or the Government of Canada. Far from it. It’s typically reported that only about 10 per cent of out-of-country medical care costs are covered, which is why the Government of Canada strongly recommends having supplemental travel health coverage, no matter how near or far you’re going, or how short or long your trip may be.
There are several factors that can impact how much your travel insurance will be:
- Where you’re going and how long you’ll be there.
- The type of coverage you need (whether it’s just emergency medical or a comprehensive package like an all-inclusive policy).
- The number of travellers you need to insure.
- Your age and any pre-existing conditions you may have.
Different Types of Travel Insurance
For senior Canadians aged 55 and over who travel to warmer climates in the winter.
Find the Travel Insurance You Need
- Looking for single trip, multi trip, all inclusive or trip cancellation insurance? Just click "Get Quotes" above to get started.
- Do you need travel insurance for seniors? For Canadian travellers aged 55 and over who love to travel in the winter to warmer climates, there’s snowbird travel insurance. These policies are designed to give seniors the coverage they need.
- For travellers visiting Canada as a tourist, healthcare in Canada can be costly without coverage and Kanetix.ca can help set you up with a great policy. Don’t think you need travel insurance as a visitor to Canada? Here’s why you do.
- Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents applying for the super visa can compare quotes for super visa health insurance that offers the coverage needed to fulfill the visa’s requirements. It doesn’t have to be tricky to pick a policy because we make it easy to shop for super visa insurance plans.
- If you’re coming to study in Canada, Kanetix.ca offers international student travel insurance quotes. As a student, it’s important to make sure you’re protected for the duration of your studies in Canada. Accidents, illness and medical emergencies can be especially stressful in an unfamiliar country. Have peace of mind and make sure you’re covered.
The excitement of an upcoming trip is one of the best feelings in the world. With everything that you need to do to prepare, it’s easy to overlook purchasing travel insurance, but don’t leave home without it! Find your best travel insurance quotes now!
How to Get the Most out of Your Wilderness Adventure
Feb 18, 2020
Crossing items off your bucket list, taking in once-in-a-lifetime views, reaching new heights (literally and figuratively), and immersing yourself in the local culture, are reasons enough to book a wilderness adventure. A bonus, eco-tourism can support conservation efforts and small…
Top Holiday Destinations for Couples
Feb 5, 2020
Travel is good for the soul and when it comes to your relationship it may good for that too. One of the perks of being in a relationship is you have a built-in travel companion. A person who you want…
Ontario’s Out-of-Country Emergency Medical Coverage Is Officially No More
Jan 17, 2020
As of January 1, 2020, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) no longer covers Ontario residents when they're travelling abroad. If you want coverage while you're outside the country, you'll need to ensure you have your own travel insurance coverage…
*The average savings found on Kanetix.ca for emergency medical travel insurance for single travellers, age 30, for single trips of 10 days, as compared with the published rates of 3 financial institutions for their equivalent insurance. Actual savings vary depending on number of travellers, age, trip duration, medical conditions, and coverage selected. Based on research as of January 4, 2019.