Playing both ice hockey and field hockey aren't as simple as using a stick to hit a puck or ball into a goal. Each sport requires vigorous physical conditioning, countless hours of training, and a variety of equipment to keep you safe and playing well. Players are expected to master a variety of offensive and defensive tactics when playing the game: similar to North American football, there are plays and strategies that can make or break a game. Additionally, there's armor and padding that each player should wear and put on properly to ensure no concussions or other injuries take place. Below you will find a comprehensive hockey source that will cover drills, skills, techniques, equipment, legendary athletes from the USA and Canada, and other resources to give you a full understanding of field hockey and ice hockey.
- Figure 8 Warm-Up: A diagram from The University of Denver that shows how to do a figure 8 warm-up.
- Featured Drill: Connecticut Hockey shows how to be a better goalie.
- Colorado Springs Coach's Corner: How a coach helps students learn conditioning and basic drills.
- Minkey Field Hockey Manual: Learn the basics of field hockey in the variation known as Minkey aka Mini-Hockey.
- FUNdamental Field Hockey: USA Field Hockey covers all the basics from stance to covering the goal so kids can learn the game.
Skills and Techniques
- USA Hockey: Are you curious on how to get up once you've fallen on the ice?
- Hockey Stickhandling & Passing Tips: A guide to basic hockey shots, passing, and stick handling maneuvers.
- The Olympics: Everything you need to know about ice hockey skills and rules.
- Goaltending Guidelines: Rutgers explains what every goalie should know.
- Improving Hockey Speed: An article discussing how to increase speed while playing hockey.
- Field Hockey BC General Tactical Instruction: A general guide to skills and tactics used in field hockey.
- Field Hockey Goalie Positioning: Master the goalie stance to prevent the opposing team from scoring.
- Best of the Best: What are the top-five ice hockey sticks now?
- Composite Technology and the Hockey Stick Revolution: The ways advancements in technology are changing the way ice hockey is played.
- The Sport Journal - Which Stick is Best?: Which stick will get you the best slap shot?
- Ice Hockey helmet chin straps, design issues, and recommendations for youth play: Make sure you know what to look for when choosing a helmet.
- How to Choose Hockey Skates: Skates are one of the most important pieces of gear in ice hockey -- pick the right pair!
- Proper Safety Equipment for Ice Hockey: The mandatory equipment requirements and regulations for hockey of all ages.
- What Equipment is Needed for Field Hockey?: The requirements needed to play the game.
- Hockey Sticks Guide - Materials: Before you get a stick for field hockey, learn what characteristics will suit your needs best.
- How to Choose the Right Hockey Stick: BBC News helps you pick out the right stick to use in field hockey.
- Best Hockey Players of All Time - Top 50 Greatest NHL Stars Ever: Hockey Hermit gives a detailed approach into some hockey legends.
- Brendan Shanahan: 2013 inductee into the NHL Hall of Fame.
- It's More Than Luck For Niedermayer: NHL hall of fame member Scott Niedermayer has always remained humble, even after this achievement.
- HHOF Geraldine Heaney was Bobby Orr of women's game: Learn more about one of the greatest female hockey players.
- Gino Odjick and the Fans Role in Hockey Concussions: Hockey is a physical sport and there are lasting impacts from playing, sometimes.
- The 10 Greatest One-Team NHL Players: Who are the best hockey legends that stayed loyal to one team their entire career?
- Greatest American NHL Players: Sports Illustrated ranks their favorite American NHL athletes.
- Top 25 Hockey Players of All Time: Who does Bleacher Report think the best players of all time are?
- Wayne Gretzky Enjoys Los Angeles Kings' Run to the Cup: Since retiring from professional ice hockey, Gretzky still remains a loyal fan.
More Hockey Resources
- Stop Sports Injuries: Hockey injury prevention and common injury types.
- Biomechanics Powers Ice Hockey Performance: The science behind different hockey techniques.
- Exploratorium: Learn the science of ice hockey like how pucks move and why armor is needed.
- Return to Physical Activity Following Concussion: The road map to recovery after getting a concussion.
- Ice Hockey Summit II - Action on Concussion: Since this is a physical sport, injuries may happen. It would be wise to invest in insurance to cover any potential problems.
- Science of NHL Hockey: Understanding what goes into the collisions and puck slaps.
- First Indoor Game of Ice Hockey: How did hockey move from grass to indoors on ice?
- A Short History of Ice Hockey Equipment: Skoda explains how the equipment players use today came to be.
- Newton's Three Laws of Motion: How classic science principles apply to ice hockey.
- The Game of Field Hockey: Stanford University explains the rules of field hockey.
By: Walter Zeiss